CREW Atlanta Mentor-Protégé Success Story

July 5, 2021

CREW Atlanta Mentor-Protégé Success Story:
Changel Tobias (Protégé) and Dana Newby (Mentor)

 

Our CREW Atlanta Mentor-Protégé Program may be one of our best-kept secrets! And we want everyone in CREW Atlanta to know about it. Today, we are chatting with Stan Johnson Company Investment Sales Analyst and CREW Atlanta member and protégé Chanel Tobias and Coro Realty Senior Leasing Agent and CREW Atlanta member and mentor Dana Newby about their experience with the program.

Why did you decide to participate in CREW Atlanta’s Mentorship Program?

 

Dana:
I have a passion for helping and guiding people. Within my role as leasing agent, I receive a lot of calls. Of these calls maybe 30% are qualified callers and the other 70% are opportunities for me to add value and help people understand business plans, the lease process, etc. Every day I try to add value to others. So, why not help women in this industry navigate through their windows of success? CREW mentorship checked a lot of those boxes for me.
 
Chanel:
I have been working in the commercial real estate industry for about three years now and am seeking guidance from someone in the industry. Also, someone to bounce ideas off of who can help me to figure out my next career steps as there are many roads I can take, how to move about within the corporate culture and to have candid conversations in confidence, my safe space.


What are some ways you think the mentorship benefits the both of you?

Dana:
I am here to offer encouragement, guidance and a network of contacts, if needed. Even though we represent different asset classes in the industry as Chanel is in multi-family and I am in retail, I benefit as much as she benefits being in the same industry but in different asset classes. I think there is a lot of context that we can trade.
 
Chanel:
I sought a mentor to have someone who can help me with things specific to the commercial real estate industry. I have parents and friends, but it is so helpful to have someone with industry experience who can guide me because they have been through some of the more industry-specific things we deal with.


Please share one story about your experience with the CREW Atlanta Mentorship Program thus far.

Dana:
Another mentor reached out to me to offer an opportunity to discuss with her protégé the leasing process. We have to support each other and have each other’s back, as CREW Atlanta supports us.
 
Chanel:
Same here, I had a conversation with another protégé and was able to assist her. It is a great opportunity to have the ability to have additional resources.


How do you prepare for meetings?

Dana:
I educate myself on various topics to help Chanel, so I have been reading a lot. We are continuing to build our relationship, so although we may not see all the results now, we will see the benefits in the long term.
 
Chanel:
I think about what I have going on at work or with a project. Talking with Dana about how to frame a conversation in a remote environment with my supervisor as an example. She is great sounding board for me.


What would you share with a person interested in joining CREW Atlanta and/or the mentorship program?

Chanel:
Continue to do the mentorship program and push it forward. It has been a great benefit to me.
 
Dana:
Like the article that was sent to all of us said, mentoring is about the whole person not just about career. We have to continue to provide mentoring opportunities, as it is beneficial to all.